Thursday 3 July 2008

Happy Early 4th of July!!








Hello again, mates!!
London is still great and amazing, of course. Yesterday was exciting because some of the "locals" who are our program directors told me that my accent, of all the Americans-pretending-to-be-British, was the best. I did not mention that I have been waiting for that moment for about 50 years, but I was thrilled to say the least. My friend Samantha told me that when she first met me, I was apparently practicing my accent and she thought I was British for about an hour.
As I was telling Libby yesterday, there are two things that I must complain about so far
1) Windows
2) Food
Londoners do not appear to believe in screened windows, thus there are constantly bugs in my room, which is driving me nuts!
Food-wise, I would imagine England is not ranked very highly on the international good food ratings. Especially college food. Each meal I basically have only 1 choice, and its usually shadily identified as "meat" if its lunch/dinner (supper) and at breakfast it is "bagel" with some sort of fruity spread. Thus, I have bought myself some chocolate (double chocolate) muffins and some peanut butter and have subsisting on that. So far I have not wasted away, so that is good news.
After my weekend of touring around London, we have only been back to central London once, for someone's birthday, which was really fun. We went to a bar/club called the ZOO bar and hung out and danced. I am going to try to upload some photos so you can see some of the neat things I'm doing and some of my friends here (Alexis, Megan, Sam, Erika, Kayla, Jessica).
Tomorrow night is the 4th of July! Some kids are planning to go to a bar called the Texas Embassy because we figure there may be other Americans there. The stereotype of obnoxious Americans is definitely believed here. Especially on the tube (pronounced "chube").

God save the Queen!!
Katharine

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I Just laughed for like 20 minutes at your comment about your accent: waiting for 50 years...that is so true and so hilarious.